Why is the flint wall here so high?
Originally eight feet tall, another three feet were added in 1850 so that passengers on stage coaches could not see into the farmhouse garden.
Beyond Pond Farm House is the delightful Candytuft, dating from the mid 16th century and originally a half-floored house with a smoke bay at one end, subsequently divided into three cottages.
1725 and 1740 cottages were originally a malthouse. The neighbouring Cherry Tree Cottage, built about 1700, was the home of the malthouse-keeper.
Opposite is Holly Cottage dating from 1736. In 1841 this was the home of Philip Stoner, Upper Beeding’s first postmaster.
Now return to the car park to complete the trail.