Turning left into Henfield Road, on the left is an eccentric “monument to Victorian extravagance”. Completed in 1883, it became home in 1903 to nuns who were escaping anti clerical laws in France. It later became the Towers Convent, an independent school, which closed in 2020.
Resembling a castle, this eccentric building was sold partly completed to a local architect, George Smith, becoming known locally as “Smith’s Folly”. It became a hunting lodge in 1897.